Unrestrained Humility



Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled;
and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.
Matthew 23:12

But... how do I humble myself?

When humility is so shy a thing that it can hardly be sought after or even gazed upon without fleeing, then how can one ever hope to gain it?

By serving in love, I hear within me.

The active working-out of humility is service and service is what strengthens humility's staying power.  But not any service in which I exalt myself, no. Service in which I forget myself. Humble myself.

How do I truly humble myself in marriage?

In motherhood?

In relationships?

How can I stretch that thin to get low in all those aspects? What would that even look like to forget myself for the sake of remembering others? 

It feels so dangerous to let myself be in last place, but Jesus says that's the place where we will find glory.  My joy is hiding in that place, waiting to be taken up when I let go of the lesser things.  


Lesser things like myself: my needs, my wants, my rights.  

Lord, show me where I need to bend! Maybe even break.  You've gone before us and shown us what it looks like to be dangerously selfless. Help me to catch onto that wild and unrestrained humility that gives up self and takes up glory instead.

Comments

  1. gosh i love that humility font! oh and the message, the message too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called Rawengulk, I use it a lot around here! And thanks, friend :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts/heart/words below!

Popular Posts