Homemade Oatmeal Bars


I've been wanting to post this one for a while... mostly just because I keep losing my recipe and want to engrave it forever into blog permanency.  The first time I lost it, I searched and searched through websites of homemade granola bars trying to find the one that originally inspired me, but it remains a mystery.  I cannot find that website. But luckily, I have gotten good at repeatedly finding the crumply, oil-stained little piece of tablet paper that has what I need.

In light of my last blog, I can promise you that this is a sustainable idea.  This is even a recipe that is great for cooking with kids because there's basically just stirring and squishing involved.  Originally, I was looking for something that I could send with my husband to help him get through class on his long days, but now these oatmeal bars have become a favorite breakfast, mid-day snack, after-nap snack, midnight snack, you name it.  Its just a good, healthy, snacky type thing that is good to have around.  Add a glass of milk and it doesn't get much better.

Homemade Oatmeal Bars
(yields 15 bars)

4 cups rolled oats
1.5 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (that's already reduced from the original recipe)
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 c. oil (I use coconut until I hear our bank account draining, then finish it off with vegetable)
4 eggs
dried goodies (I recommend cranberries, chocolate chips, and coconut for sure! I also do flax and almond sometimes)

Mix dry things in large bowl.  Mix wet things in another bowl.  Combine.

Mash the mixture into a cookie sheet, I think ours is 13 x 9 (kind of a smaller one) and it fills perfect.

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts